Office hookups- some people think they are no big deal, but others will tell you that they always end in disaster. In this week’s episode we talk about the dangers of office hookups and we have a juicy story to share.
Disclaimer: There are a lot of sides to office romance conversation but in this episode we focus on hookups only as these can happen by “accident” if you aren’t careful.
We kick off this episode going through some of the surprising statistics related to office romance. You can check them out in this Business Insider article. 36% of people have had a random office hookup. That is a lot in our book! We share what we think when it comes to shitting where you eat:
- Maddie: Unless you’re a temp or planning on leaving the company AND industry I’d say don’t even consider it
- As people of color in particular when it comes to career it’s such a small world that the bad decisions from happy hour will follow you longer than you think
- Boundaries are hella important; you know your level of hoe-dom- don’t push it by flirting or being playful if you know you’d smash the second they seem down
- Lina D: Always a bad idea- office culture doesn’t ever allow for things to be private.
- As a woman you have to be even more careful, men are celebrated for their sexcapades at work but women can have a harder time recovering
- Office vagina/ penis- do you really want to be the next person at the office that slept with that same person?
- Westley: No….Not messing with my money, and I definitely don’t shit where i eat…not trying to be the gossip of the workplace, and not trying to get fired
Ladies & Gentlemen, Story time is here! (Note this is abridged, you will want to listen to the episode to get the full scoop.)
First off let’s start by saying this: the main character in this story, Tracy (names have been changed to protect identities) is scared of and refuses to get tested. Now here is where the story takes a twist. He hooks up with all the Tinderellas out there without using condoms and has hooked up with five other women at work also unprotected. Of course there is going to be drama but this workplace has a zero tolerance policy on workplace romances. There is proof that people have been fired in the past for violating the policy.
We close the episode with our advice to our listeners, here is a short list: STIs are real, don’t expect special treatment if you engage in office hookups, and brace for defamation of character.
Recommended Fun Read from Cosmo!